Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Reflections for the day.....

As I sit her listening to the Ice Cream maker hum and my children laugh together, I sometimes wonder how there are people out there in the world who don't take the time to be at home with their children. And worse, don't want to! I am currently reading the book by Ted Nugent called "Ted, White and Blue" The Nugent Manifesto and it has confirmed to me that I am not the only person left who wonders what happened to the way things used to be. The American Way. When did "keeping up with the Jones's" become so important that people **choose**(and by choose, I actually mean choose and not those people out there who have to work to survive) to be at work all day instead of at home raising their own children. We are allowing outside influences raise the generation of tomorrow. The government takes control of the majority of our children's learning at the tender and influential age of five and they are trying to make it even earlier by implementing universal preschool! Where are the parents of these children?? Why aren't they fighting for their children and the few precious years they have with them before they are sent off to the voluntary brainwashing we call the public school system? When did mothers and fathers become so incompetent that they are no longer good enough to educate our young people?

As a homeschooling mother to three young girls, I am appalled to see what some school districts are teaching their young people! It is no longer up to the parent to teach abstinence and procreation to their children. They leave it up to the teachers. Parents no longer want to teach discipline at home. Instead they want to leave the discipline up to the teachers while they focus on being the "cool" parent and their child's best friend. But, if the teachers get too harsh, watch out! Those same parents are quick to retaliate against the school system saying that their child was treated unfairly or disciplined too severely.

Although I think that it is a personal decision to homeschool your children or send them to a public school, I cannot feel more strongly about my decision to teach my children at home in a structured environment where they are free to practice their religion w/o feeling pressured to change their mindset and where they are learning the importance of saving your virginity for marriage. I want them to learn that there is a difference between respecting other people's choices and accepting them. I am happy that they will learn about all of the religions of the world along with other historical figures w/o feeling the need to agree with all of them b/c some "activist" told them they should.

So, as I continue to sit here and watch my children ride their bikes and feed their animals and talk amongst each other, I thank God that my husband and I have chosen this simple life for ourselves and our children. I am thankful that they will value the dollar and not expect to get all of the finer things in life just b/c someone else has them. I am thankful that we have chosen to put our children above money. I am thankful that God has given us the ability to make these choices for ourselves and most of all, I am thankful that my children have helped me see that the simple things in life can be more exciting than any shiny new toy that can be bought in a store.

5 comments:

Countess B said...

Wow - What a strong post.

I am consistently amazed at how much we think alike - and yet how differently we view things.

Believe it or not, I used to share your viewpoints. Everything was very black and white to me.

During the last 10 years I've had some pretty intense life experiences that have taught me that the world is very much full of color - and varying shades of grey. I've found that black and white is very rare and hard to find.

While I think it's wonderful that you feel so strongly about being at home, I think its awful that you feel so strongly against those that don't agree with you.

Some women (and this includes myself)enjoy the empowerment of working outside of the home. I know that it's hard to believe but as much as my children are my number one joy - I do not feel that they should be the center of my entire existence. That's not healthy. For them or me. That is not the role I want to set up for my children to emulate.

More in the next comment.

Countess B said...

My mother worked ALWAYS. I NEVER had a stay at home mom. Do I feel she neglected me? No. Do I feel as though I missed out on something? No! My friends that had moms that did stay home always seemed embarrassed that their mothers didn't work.

Do I or have I ever criticized mothers that stay home? No!!

Each person has a different set of ideals. Just because they aren't exactly in line with my ideals doesn't make them wrong or selfish or stupid. Just different.

Regarding your paranoia (and I say that with love) about the outside influences "raising the generation of tomorrow". I agree to a certain extent. There are parents out there that are quite happy allowing other people to shape the values of their children.

I agree with you, shame on them.

But please do not think that because I value public schools with all that it will do to prepare my child for a smooth transition in dealing with society - that I am one of those "no core values" people.

And neither are the majority of parents I know.

You asked a question in your blog - "When did mothers and fathers become so incompetent that they are no longer good enough to educate our young people?"

I ask you this question in response - When does the simple practice of having sex make us capable enough or smart enough to educate our children to the extent they deserve? Last I checked that's the very reason they started making teachers get degrees - to ensure our children are given the education they deserve. It's not Little House on the Praire anymore. Basic math, reading, and English etc. aren't enough to give my children the best possible chance for success in today's cutthroat world. I want my kids to be more than ready to conquer those mountains - if they chose. At least I feel comfortable in knowing that I have made my children well armed to deal with what the world throws at them.

Unfortunatly due to the laziness of the last few generations the school and government have had to take on the responsiblity of discipline and sex ed. And for that I say shame on our generation.

But I can't force others to do what I think is right, or would I not be just as guilty as the government you are so angry at?

Another comment that you made was "I want them to learn that there is a difference between respecting other people's choices and accepting them."

I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but I'm going to guess. You can correct me if I guessed wrong. I think that every person's beliefs deserve respect. And I don't think that you can give respect if you don't accept that they just don't agree with you. It seems to me, and it makes me sad, that you want your children to spurn people who don't think exactly like you and live exactly like you. I firmly believe that each person is personally accountable to God and God alone. And if their beliefs are wrong then God will punish them. There is no reason to give them hell on earth by putting them down or shunning them.

I think you made a very beautiful statement when you said "I am thankful that God has given us the ability to make these choices for ourselves."

I think it's also important to realize that God give EVERYONE the ability to make those choices and He gave you the ability to repect and accept their choices, as you wish them to respect and accept yours.

Unknown said...

Although I can understand many of the opinions you have expressed, I have to assume that reading opinions and hearing them in person are two completely different things.

Although many of my opinions seem very black and white(and there are many things that are), I agree that there are many things that fall into a grey category. While I don't have time to touch on all of these things, I would love to respond to some of the things posted!

I find it to be a wonderful thing that God has placed so many competent, dependable, smart women in the world to be in our workforce! They are a valuable asset to us and I would never belittle women who choose the workforce. My problem only arises when I see women who choose their jobs over their children. I feel that our babies are only small for a short time and that God has given us a responsibility to raise them for those few short years before they are sent off to school. I truly feel(and people are free to disagree) that we as women should choose wisely when to have children and when to focus on a career. It is truly a sad thing today when employers do not value the mother inside the home and women are many times given an ultimatum as to which they choose. There are many careers which could be performed from a home setting, yet, the option is not given. I would LOVE to see women choose to be at home for the first five years and then return to the workforce once their children are in school. This is simply my personal ideal, although I know that not everyone agrees.

I have to also reply to your feelings about your children being your entire existence. While I have to agree that your children cannot consume your life(and you know that I am very pro mommy-day-away), it is a choice to have children and while they are so young and easily influenced, I feel that the family core should be the majority of their learning experiences. I do NOT feel that we should be placing our 2 and 3 year old children in the hands of people we don't even know to teach and guide them.

More on the next comment...

Unknown said...

I do have to admit that I find it extremely sad that anyone would ever be embarassed that their mothers chose to be at home with them and care for their family. I personally feel that being a mother is the most important role that we take on as a woman, and should be treated as such.

This post was not aimed toward any person inparticular and I surely hope that no one would take it personally. These are my personal views on life and are not formed on the opinions of other people I encounter. You stated that "But please do not think that because I value public schools with all that it will do to prepare my child for a smooth transition in dealing with society - that I am one of those "no core values" people." I want you to know that I do not place you or any other person into a single category. Every person is different and individual in the way they approach life and everyone deserves to be viewed according to their own personal circumstances.

When I say "raise our young people" I am not referring to homeschooling mothers or fathers, I am referring to the people who are advocating "required preschool". If you are not competent enough to teach your four year old the basics in education, then I question your ability to be a good role model to your children.

My last comment, and probably, my most strong opinion has to do with my children respecting other people's choices and lifestyles. I, as a mother, would NEVER advocate teaching my children to spurn others who don't live or think like we do. I want my children to understand the different lifestyles that we encounter and I also expect them to respect those people no matter what their choices may be. I have respect for everyone that I meet unless they give me a reason not to. BUT, I do NOT have to accept their lifestyles and will not compromise my beliefs to make another person feel good. I am happy to respect where they stand as long as they can respect where I stand. They don't have to accept my beliefs as the their own, just as I do not have to accept their beliefs as my own. That is the difference, in my opinion. My girls should know and understand what we view as wrong without pushing away other people who don't agree with us.

Countess B said...

Bravo! I really agree with most everything you said in your comments.

I think we can both agree that it's a fine line we walk as Christians in todays society.

I'm very glad you cleared up a lot of what I conceivied from your original post.

Your clarification of topics touched on in my comments makes your original post much easier for me to understand.

I'm glad we were both able to vent our spleens so to speak. It is nice hearing others outlooks on the same issues I think about.

I can't think of anything funny or witty to end with - which sucks. I like ending on a laugh. Oh well.

Oh wait, I know.

Remember how you feel about brainwashing? Well I thought it goes really well for my family.

Since everyone thinks our church is a cult and brainwasher it's members, I might as well continue the brainwashing with school. LOL!!!

Love ya!