Friday, April 20, 2012

Businesswoman?!

I have never really pictured myself as having my own business.  I mean, sure, when I was younger I always thought I would own a restaurant or something of that nature, but I never really thought I would be running my own small business from home.  I have to say that I am loving it!  I love the fact that I can earn some money all while doing something I love and being around for my kids.  I have a very strong conviction that I feel like I should be there to raise my girls.  I didn't want someone else doing it and missing out on those moments.  If I HAD to work, I would gladly do it.  I can and have succeeded at jobs outside of the home when my two oldest were little.  I enjoyed my job, I was good at it, and I would still be there if we hadn't made the step towards becoming a single-income family.  I admit, times can be tough.  We have gone through rough patches where we struggle and there are many times we live paycheck to paycheck, but that is the choice that we made.

All of this is what lead me to start finding ways to make extra money.  I knew that I loved crochet and I knew that I wanted to do it more than once in a while when my kids needed a hat.  So, I started making them for friends and family.  Then, I started selling a few online just for fun.  After a while, I decided to try craft shows.  That turned into a wonderful and loyal clientele that I can't thank enough for their love and support!  

This year I decided that I wanted to actually make a real go at it and I obtained my DBA and my vendor's license.  I am now and official business through the state of  Ohio and it feels great!  At times when I thought my business would slow down, it did just the opposite!  I have met amazing people whom I can't imagine not knowing and made a small network of other WAHM(work at home moms).  It is nice to have those women to share stories with and to sometimes barter with!

I am so very grateful for this opportunity.  I am very happy with where I am right now, and I hope that my business continues to grow.  I am looking forward to all that comes with this opportunity and I 100% give my thanks to God for providing me with this talent and this job!

**Remember, if you have the opportunity to go to craft shows and buy from other hard-working artisans, know that you are buying American and that you are supporting your local economy!  Praise those men and women who are doing those shows because it takes A LOT of work to prepare, stock up, set up, sell, and tear down at those shows!

No comments: