Thursday, February 11, 2010

Reading "The Five Love Languages"

A while back I purchased the book "The Five Love Languages" on audio for my iPod and listened to it. It is an amazing book and I highly recommend it to anyone! It tells you how to show and receive love from anyone, not just your spouse.

Anyways, I have been asking my DH to listen to the book for about a month now. I gave him constant reminders that I wanted him to read it and even left my precious iPod with him on occasion in the hopes that he would turn it on and listen. Well, last night I had finally had it and I told him that I was serious and that I NEEDED him to listen to this book. I told him that it would show him what my love language was and how to speak it. I told him that he wasn't filling my "love tank" and that the book would show him why and how to fix the problem. Well, he finally took it to work with him today and started listening to it. When I called him a little while ago to see how his day was going(which we usually do everyday anyways, this isn't a special call), we finally started talking about the book. He never realized what my love languages are. He didn't know that he wasn't filling my love tank fully. He knew that he was scraping by with the bare minimums, but wasn't doing much more than that. He was putting a band-aid on things instead of fixing them. I think that we finally got to a place where we can both see what we need to work on. I have been actively trying to fill his love tank for the last month since I listened to the book and he acknowledged that he saw the difference. He was grateful for the changes I have made. Now, I just hope that he can make those same changes so that we can have an AMAZING marriage and we can get back to how things used to be. I was always so proud when I was the one with the husband who refilled my drinks without being asked. He would send me flowers on every special occasion just to say he loved me. People noticed those things about him and knew how lucky I was and I never felt more loved than I did then.

I will say it again....if you haven't read "The Five Love Languages", do it! It could change your marriage and your entire life!

No comments: